Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Claim Process?

  1. You register your details with us
  2. We contact HMRC and request authorisation to act as your agent
  3. HMRC sends you an authorisation code, which you are required to give to us within a short period of time. It usually takes HMRC 7 to 10 days to issue a code
  4. While we await a code from HMRC, you send us your accounting records so that we may begin your tax refund claim.  We ask for everything you have, all your income and expenditure records. No matter how organised, or dis-organised they may be!
  5. We prepare your tax refund claim, contact you to discuss further and to ensure we are claiming as much expenditure as you are entitled to in order to maximise any tax refund applicable.
  6. Once we are authorised as your agent your tax return or rebate claim is submitted online to HMRC.
  7. Once we receive your tax refund, we deduct our fees and forward the balance to you directly into your bank account within 24 hours.

What are your fees?

  • If you are an Employee and taxed under Pay As You Earn (PAYE) we charge 20% of the amount of tax refunded, subject to a minimum charge of £150
  • If you have a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) and are a Subcontractor taxed under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) we charge 10% of the tax refunded, subject to a minimum fee of £150 and maximum £300. This includes sending your tax return to HMRC.
  • If you are a sole trader in an industry other than construction and you owe tax, we charge £150 to submit your tax return
  • For mixed claims where you are both Employed and Self-Employed during a tax year,  we will advise on fees once we have received further details on your income and expenditure. We will only submit your tax return when agreement is reached over charges.

I have been both Employed and Self-Employed during the year. Can I still apply for a tax refund?

Yes, of course! You are required to submit a tax return, which we are able to do on your behalf.

How long will it take to get my tax refund?

The initial procedure is to authorise us to be your tax agent. HMRC will send you a tax code through the post. This usually takes 7 to 14 days, after which time your tax return or tax refund claim can be filed immediately.

  • If you are Employed and are applying for a tax rebate, the refund usually takes around 8 to 10 weeks  to be received following authorisation.
  • If you are Self-Employed in the Construction Industry and request a CIS tax refund, the refund usually takes 7 to 14 days to be received following authorisation.